MCT Powder – all the benefits of MCT oil and easier to digest
Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) are fatty acids that can help support fat loss, enhance sport performance, and increase mental clarity. Burned by the body for energy instead of being stored as fat, MCTs provide more energy, more brain power and fewer cravings.
MCT powder is a newer version of MCT oil and has added benefits over its oil counterpart: it is easier on the digestive system and a full serving can be consumed right away.
Know the benefits of MCT Powder
- Supports weight management
- Supports a healthy body composition
- Fast fuel for brain and body
- Used as energy instead of being stored as fat
- Easy to digest
MCTs contain medium-length chains of fats called triglycerides.
Due to their shorter length, MCTs are easily digested and many health benefits are linked to the way our bodies process these fats.
The body forms triglycerides by joining three fatty acids to a glycerol backbone, making fatty acids water soluble for transport in the blood and use in the body.
MCT is a fat consisting of 8 to 14 carbons. Most unsaturated fats (including omega-3s and omega-6s) are shorter-chain fatty acids, consisting of 8 to 14 carbons, while most saturated fats (including coconut oil) are long-chain fatty acids (LCFAs), having 16 to 20 carbon bonds.
Due to their unique length and makeup, MCTs are quickly absorbed by the body and used for energy. They are also hydrolysed more rapidly and metabolised more completely than LCFAs. And, are less likely to be deposited as fat than LCFAs are.
MCT fats occur naturally in coconut oil, palm oil, goat milk and breast milk.
MCT powder is commonly extracted from coconut oil, as more than 50% of the fat in coconut oil comes from MCTs.
Most MCT powders are somewhere between 50% – 80% MCT oil, with the remainder of ingredients being starch derivatives (carbs) and milk proteins. However, MCT powder from Chemiplas Health & Nutrition contains Acacia prebiotic fibre in place of the cheaper starch/maltodextrin source. Acacia prebioitic fibre offers powerful, gut-health properties that can help increase the ratio of good bacteria in the gut.
We see numerous possibilities for dietary health product development using MCT Powder with Acacia prebiotic fibre. If you’d like to know more, please get in touch.
- Rial, Sabri Ahmed et al. “Gut Microbiota and Metabolic Health: The Potential Beneficial Effects of a Medium Chain Triglyceride Diet in Obese Individuals.” Nutrients vol. 8,5 281. 12 May. 2016, doi:10.3390/nu8050281
- St-Onge, M-P et al. “Impact of medium and long chain triglycerides consumption on appetite and food intake in overweight men.” European journal of clinical nutrition vol. 68,10 (2014): 1134-40. doi:10.1038/ejcn.2014.145
- Mahan, L.K.; Escott-Stump, S., Raymon, J.L. Krause’s Food and the Nutrition Care Process, 13th 2012, 46, 632.