Chemiplas Food I Health I Nutrition

What is the number one supplement for muscle and brain health?

Creatine Monohydrate is the number one supplement for gaining muscle, enhancing strength, and improving exercise performance. 

It also provides several other health benefits, such as protection against neurological disease, lowered blood sugar levels and improved memory function. 

Creatine Monohydrate can assist people of different ages and needs, including sedentary individuals, older adults, and elite athletes.

If energy is needed, a phosphate group splits off from each molecule of ATP (adenosine triphosphate, the energy currency of the cell), releasing energy to power the muscle and is then converted to ADP (adenosine diphosphate). 

The muscle contains only enough ATP for a few seconds of high-energy activity. The body later converts ADP back into ATP using the energy we get from our food. 

When someone supplements, they increase their stores of phosphocreatine. This is a form of stored energy in the cells, helping the body produce more of the high-energy molecule, ATP. 

Caption: With more ATP, the body can perform better during exercise.

About 95% of the body’s creatine is stored in muscles in the form of phosphocreatine. The other 5% is found in the brain, kidneys and liver. 

Because creatine supplements also increase phosphocreatine stores in the brain, supplementing helps to improve brain health and prevent neurological disease. 

Just like the muscles, the brain stores phosphocreatine and requires plenty of ATP for optimal function.

Creatine supplementation may improve the following conditions: 

  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Huntington’s disease
  • Ischemic stroke
  • Epilepsy
  • Brain or spinal cord injuries
  • Motor neuron disease
  • Memory and brain function in older adults

Vegetarians tend to have low creatine stores because they do not eat meat, which is the main natural dietary source. They, too, will benefit from creatine supplementation.

Research also indicates that creatine may:

  • Lower blood sugar levels
  • Improve muscle function and quality of life in older adults
  • Help treat non-alcoholic fatty liver disease

Not all creatine is the same. 

There are huge differences in manufacturing processes and quality, affecting purity and effectiveness. 

Creapure® is the most widely studied form of creatine and is proven to be one of the most effective and safest supplements available. 

Creapure is the brand name for the highest purity creatine monohydrate manufactured by AlzChem Trostberg GmbH in Germany. 

  • Contains approx. 88 % creatine (most other forms contain much less)
  • A lesser content of active ingredient means higher dosages are required to achieve the same results

When is Creapure application beneficial?

  • For sports and fitness – increases performance, endurance and regeneration
  • For mental fitness – improves working memory, reduces mental fatigue
  • For healthy bones – increases bone density, reduces bone decomposition
  • For healthy aging – slows decreasing muscle mass with increasing age
  • For vegetarians – boosts creatine levels
  • For rehabilitation – reduces deterioration of skeletal muscles during immobilisation

Creapure is the ideal ingredient for enhancing the value of active nutrition products. If you’d like to know more, please get in touch. 

 

References: 

Kreider, Richard B. “Effects of creatine supplementation on performance and training adaptations.” Molecular and cellular biochemistry vol. 244,1-2 (2003): 89-94.

Buford, Thomas W et al. “International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: creatine supplementation and exercise.” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition vol. 4 6. 30 Aug. 2007, doi:10.1186/1550-2783-4-6

Matthews, R T et al. “Creatine and cyclocreatine attenuate MPTP neurotoxicity.” Experimental neurology vol. 157,1 (1999): 142-9. doi:10.1006/exnr.1999.7049

Prass, Konstantin et al. “Improved reperfusion and neuroprotection by creatine in a mouse model of stroke.” Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism : official journal of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism vol. 27,3 (2007): 452-9. doi:10.1038/sj.jcbfm.9600351

Op ‘t Eijnde, B et al. “Effect of oral creatine supplementation on human muscle GLUT4 protein content after immobilization.” Diabetes vol. 50,1 (2001): 18-23. doi:10.2337/diabetes.50.1.18